Group of Finnish soldiers armed with Belgian made FN Mle D light machine guns likely sometime between 1940-1944. The FN Mle D was a Belgian lmg based on the FN Mle 1930, which again was based on the American BAR. The man on the very left has a Bergmann MP 20 submachine gun. The men in the photo have a really interesting set of gear and weaponry. During Continuation war the FN Mle D light machine guns and the MP 20s only really saw use at coastal defence fortifications so it is safe to say that these men served in coastal defence. The building seen in the background is the Koivisto Church which is located in the formerly Finnish rural municipality of Koivisto, which was first lost to the USSR during Winter war in 1940 and was then recaptured by Finland in 1941 when it was found that the Soviet troops had covered the large altar glass painting in tar, torn down the organ of the church and a Soviet artillery gun had fired into the church. during Continuation war as the Koivisto locals returned to the recaptured area, they rebuilt the church before the area was then lost to the USSR again in 1944.
no date, Continuation War